Workday Reading

The Workday Reading: July 11, 2017

***

1) What to do when your heart isn’t in your work anymore. (HBR)

2) It’s Amazon Prime Day.  I bought a $49 wrap dress and these luggage cubes.

3) 25 incredible women talk about their all-time favorite books. This is mine. (The Cut)

4) Ruffles are everywhere.  I love the pretty details on this cardigan and this printed top.

5) Are women partly to blame for the shortage of men in ‘pink jobs’? (CNBC)

6) ASOS Musts: a Broderie trim blouse, a floral wrap dress, a polka-dot v-neck.

7) Dry shampoo is an absolute scam. (Racked)

8) Need a post-workout/chilly office/airplane topper? Try this jersey cardigan or this knit jacket.

9) An HR Manager tells you exactly what your cover letter should include. (My Domaine)

10) The Knocked-Up baby bag is the ideal work bag.  Just add padded laptop sleeve.

11) More women are running for office, but will they succeed? (CNN)

12) These Shashi geometric chandeliers add a kick to your cocktail attire.

13) Marcus Aurelius’s best leadership advice (weirdly found on Pinterest).

***

What I’m Watching. The Defiant Ones.

What I’m Reading. After the Fall of Mosul: What’s Next for ISIS?

What I’m Trying. Frederic Fekkai’s Full Blown Volume Shampoo/Conditioner.

What Made Me Clap. Refusing to be reduced to “pregnant wife.”

[Source of the image. Story behind the quote.]

1. Valerie says:

Love the Shashi earrings. Going to buy them for my sister’s birthday gift and am tempted to get a pair of my own 😉

July 11, 2017/Reply
  2. AB says:

We watched Defiant Ones last night. It’s definitely worth watching! The history, backstories, and commentary are great.

July 11, 2017/Reply

I was like, let me get this straight, he produced Springsteen, stevie nicks, dre, 2pac, no doubt, etc., etc. etc. and you founded Beats by Dre.? I need this man to be my mentor.

July 11, 2017/Reply
  3. Anna says:

Dry shampoo might make my hair look less greasy for a day, but then it’s a pain in the butt to wash out.

July 11, 2017/Reply

It’s a lifesaver for updos, but if I want to wear it down, I just wash it.

July 11, 2017/Reply
    • e says:

I have curly hair and spring for a blow out maybe 2 – 3 times a year, and it is DEFINITELY worth it for the extra day or two I get by spraying it before going to bed and then brushing it out in the morning. To each her own!

July 11, 2017/Reply
      • Anna says:

Yep. It might totally depend on hair type too. When I use it with my hair down, it’ll look better for maybe an extra 2-3 hours but by mid-day my hair is weighed down and blah looking. It’s definitely helpful for adding volume for updos when my hair is greasy though.

July 12, 2017/Reply
  4. Katie C. says:

I LOVE this dry shampoo: http://www.sephora.com/jet-lag-invisible-dry-shampoo-P419625. I agree with Belle that it’s definitely better for up-dos, but with this one I can get an extra day of wearing my hair down–to work! I still rinse my hair with water in the shower, though, and blow dry. I’ve definitely noticed that my hair is silkier since I started washing less frequently.

July 11, 2017/Reply
  5. Whitney says:

Picked up Slouching Toward Bethlehem on your recommendation. Can’t thank you enough! I’m now on my third Joan Didion book and I love her.

July 12, 2017/Reply
  6. Angie Anspach says:

Hey Belle! I haven’t gotten your email for a few weeks and was worried. Thank goodness it was in my in box this morning. I look for it every day! Love it.

July 12, 2017/Reply
    • GF says:

I was having the same issue as Angie — didn’t unsubscribe or take any steps to do so, but didn’t receive your posts in my mailbox for about 3 weeks or so, fyi. I’ve subscribed for years and never had a problem.

July 12, 2017/Reply

Oh good! Something happened with the Jetpack plug in. We’re building the new blog behind this one, and somehow it got turned off. I’m glad my developer was able to get it turned back on.

July 12, 2017/Reply
  7. SC says:

I’ve never used dry shampoo. My hair is super short though and washing it takes about 3 minutes, so, ehhhh. To each her own indeed!

July 12, 2017/Reply
  8. Mary G. says:

I like to think of dry shampoo as God’s gift to busy women. I’ve even sprayed it inside my shoes in a pinch (it works!)

July 13, 2017/Reply