Features + Best Purchases Ever

My Best Purchases: No. Eleven

A few weeks ago, I posted my 10 best purchases, ever.  Recently, I realized that I had added a new best purchase.  Meet the sweater that has become my first choice for casual days, working days, even relaxed cocktail parties.

The Free People Ottoman Tunic ($148) is the solution to all your sweater needs.  Don’t believe me?  I own this sweater in three colors.  I have to.  Because if I don’t have other colors, I’ll just wear the same one day after day.

It comes in seven colors, from jade to mustard to black.  The wide funnel neck doesn’t choke like a turtleneck.  And the longer length and oversized fit make it feel very relaxed, but sophisticated at the same time.

You feel good about yourself when you wear it.  Why?  Because it’s effortlessly chic.  You know it looks good, and it is so comfortable.  Every friend I recommended this sweater to (and the one who recommended it to me) is wearing it in her 2018 holiday card.  Every.single.one.

To wear it casually, I throw on leggings with the sweater and some Rothy’s.  To dress it up for casual work events, I wear it with nice jeans and cool boots.  Maybe, I push-up the sleeves and grab some glam bangles. For a dinner or cocktail event, I grab a winter white pencil skirt, short boots, tights, my black sweater and a dramatic earring.

One sizing note, however.  Size down.  I am a size 6, I wear an XS.  If I were an 8, I would probably also buy the XS.  It says oversized, it means it.  So if you’re plus-size, you could probably fit into one of the larger sizes easily.

Love this sweater.  Bought it once.  Bought it again.  Bought it one more time after that.  Still considering the ivory one.  If I were Steve Jobs, this would be my winter uniform.

{image found here; this post contains affiliate links that may earn commission for the author}

1. Crystal says:

Agree with everything you’ve listed. I bought it a year or so ago from Nordstrom and LOVE it, and I desperately want it in more colors. I agree that it runs large.

2. Jess says:

It looks like a nice sweater, which colors do you have?

Jade, black, mink.

December 13, 2018/Reply
      • Lauren says:

Price matched at Nordstrom for $88. I just ordered the Plum color, but FP still has the most size choices for an XS. Looking forward to using Belle’s link if I love it as much as everyone else.

December 28, 2018/Reply
  3. Beth says:

I’ve been looking for an oversized sweater that looks polished and can be dressed up or down – this is great.

Quick styling question: would you tuck the sweater into the pencil skirt? That’s what I’d probably do, but I don’t know if the tunic bottom is too long to tuck in without appearing bulky at the waist.

• Nadia says:

I second this questions about styling with a skirt. I love the idea when I see photos online but have never been able to figure out the logistics in front of my mirror.

December 14, 2018/Reply

I wear it with a high waist olive skirt. But I actually like it over sheath dresses a little better.

December 15, 2018/Reply
  4. Sam says:

I love the sweater but Rothys, really? On the metro they are common as Vera Bradley grandma bags or Ugs were a few years ago—and we all know your thoughts on those.

• C says:

Because Rothy’s aren’t obnoxious or ugly. Belle’s rants were about “why do so many women pay so much money for these hideous things” not “I hate all popular things just because they are popular.”

• Jessica says:

Great response, I was trying to think of something to add but couldn’t. This person’s comment is so ridiculous.

December 12, 2018/Reply

I like the black ones. They work for my more casual lifestyle. I think they’re a better commute shoe when I’m in the city than the leather flats I used to wear. I didn’t dislike Vera Bradley or Uggs because they were popular. I hated Vera Bradley bags were mostly made of garish prints. I think Uggs are slippers.

December 13, 2018/Reply
      • Apm says:

With you on all of the above! Love my rothys for a comfy flat to wear to and from work, and all day if i don’t feel like putting heels on. They work in my formal office environment.

December 13, 2018/Reply
  5. Kristen says:

Wearing this sweater in bright blue right now haha. I love it so much.

6. Em says:

Have any petite ladies tried this and can speak to if the XS is too big? I love this, but wear an XS or XS petite in most sweaters, so based on comments both here and on the website on sizing down, I’m nervous it would just be way too big on me.

• Laura says:

There is a reviewer on the link to the Macy’s one that says it’s way too big on petites:

“5 feet tall 103 pounds and this sweater in an XS looked completely ridiculous. Wanted it to fit- great fabric and beautiful color but sadly it just looked unflattering all over.”

December 13, 2018/Reply
    • Sara Sloye says:

I’m 5’0 and I’ve given up on Free People completely. It completely drowns our small frames.

December 13, 2018/Reply
  7. Shana says:

Looks like that tunic is on sale today at Macy’s for $100

8. Emily says:

Did you ever try out arm spanx? I’m on the fence on these for holiday dresses…

December 12, 2018/Reply

I did. They looked weird. Couldn’t get behind them.

December 13, 2018/Reply
  9. Charlotte says:

I think this is the same Free People sweater, on sale for 30% off:

10. Jessie says:

Cute sweater. What colors do you have it in?

Green, mink, and black.

December 13, 2018/Reply
  11. Erin says:

I actually just bought this in black – have you found a way to wear a long pendant necklace with it? The loose collar is giving me some styling issues. Thanks!

December 13, 2018/Reply

No, no necklaces. I like it with long earrings and big bangles.

December 13, 2018/Reply
  12. nancy m says:

ah! thank you to charlotte for the link! didn’t know i was buying a sweater today, but here i am! can’t wait to look chic in my very postpartum body 😉

December 13, 2018/Reply
  13. Molly says:

FYI- now on sale for $88 on Macy’s

December 14, 2018/Reply
  14. Teddy says:

I bought this on your recommendation and I LOVE it! I am usually an 18 and the Large is roomy. I can’t wait to get more colors!

December 19, 2018/Reply
  15. BEBE says:

I am normally a size 8-10 petite and ordered size small. It is still pretty large on me so I just found it at Asos for $58 in XS and will try again. Really cute but very wide on me. Its long on me too since I’m short but I plan to wear it with leggings so the length will be fine.

December 21, 2018/Reply
  16. Lauren says:

Also, love this series. Lots of inspiration for me.

December 28, 2018/Reply