The Quote of the Week.
“No matter how senior you get in an organization, no matter how well you’re perceived to be doing, your job is never done.” — Abigail Johnson, President and CEO, Fidelity Investments.
The Top Story.
“I don’t want publicity. I don’t want trouble,” she told me. “I’m sorry I’m so paranoid. This town is so damned small, and no one can keep a secret.”
The Powerful Predators of Capitol Hill. (The Cut)
As the rest of America calls out sexual harassers, women in D.C. are in a different boat. Do you talk? Do you name names? Do you think your reputation won’t be tainted?
Silence in D.C. is much easier.
12 years ago I was innapropriately touched by a Member. I was so young. I was shocked, afraid, confused, and I just froze. A man I knew intervened, words were exchanged. He never came near me again.
“Do you want to say something?” I was asked. At 22, I knew there was no one to tell. Nothing would happen. The only person punished would be me. He knew it. I knew it. Better to protect myself from further harm.
The sick part is staying silent brought me a certain cache; I was one of the club, I could be trusted.
The Member is gone now. But sometimes, I hear people talk about him, and I want to say something. But why? He can’t hurt anyone else, and I’d like to work in this town again. As someone said a few weeks ago, sexual assault makes coward of us all.
Maybe the Hill will be the next realm to start cleaning up its mess. But I doubt it.
The Weekly Reads and Links.
1) My friend Theresa was wearing this Free People slouchy tunic yesterday. I ran right out to buy it.
2) How to cope when everyone in your office is a parent. (WaPost)
4) Facebook says that to protect you from revenge porn, you need to send them your nudes first. I’m sorry, what? (LA Times)
5) These tall boots from Amazon are high on my wishlist. So cool.
6) Airport hacks to make your trip a breeze. (Refinery29)
8) Is it irresponsible for feminists to tell women the workplace is hell? (Telegraph)
9) This Even Steven foundation is whipped. That’s deeply intriguing.
10) Why cancelling plans to stay in is so satisfying. (The Cut)
11) These Toms booties are the perfect black, casual ankle boot.
12) A different kind of pregnancy announcement. (Man Repeller)
The Weekly Ws.
What Blew My Mind. Swimming to the edge of a 338ft waterfall.
What You Can’t Make Up. Allison Mack is now running a sex cult. Remember when she was just a nice girl with a TV show on CW?
What I Am Wearing to Death. These olive Prima pants from AG. The perfect alternative to jeans.
The Photo of the Week.
This dress from Christian Dior AW 17 is just a stunner. Sometimes, we all just need to look at a pretty dress and think wistfully about having some place to wear it.