Style + Ask the Edit

Ask the Edit: LBD’s for a Night on the Town

We focus so much on work dresses, but what about the tradition LBD?  The going out dress.  The party dress.  The I-Feel-Absolutely-Fabulous dress.

Hi Abra,

I am going on a bachlorette weekend trip next month, and one night we’re doing a “night on the town” in your best little black dress.  We’ll be in scottsdale, so no vegas-esque (thankfully) dress needed; however, I feel like all of my dresses I own I could wear to work.  Any fun going out dresses you love or have come across?

Thanks and best wishes with the job and move! EG

A black cocktail dress is a must.  I have one from Zac Posen that I bought at a sample sale years ago.  I always enjoy when I get a chance to wear it.

When choosing an LBD, follow a few rules to ensure maximum wearability:

1. Accentuate the part of your body that you love the most.
  2. Choose a dress that suits your style, not that follows the trends.  This way, no matter how long you own it, (as long as it still fits) you can wear it.
  3. I usually size up in an LBD and then tailor down so it fits perfectly.  My Zac Posen dress was two sizes bigger when purchased.  It cost about $80. I had it altered down and had them leave a little room in the seams in case I wanted to let it out later.  The alterations weren’t cheap, but I’ve been able to wear the dress dozens of times over the years.

Here are a few LBD options that would be perfect for your night out, and nights beyond.  (You didn’t specify a price point, so I chose from a variety of prices under-$500.)

Bardot Lace Sheath Dress ($129)

Black Halo Ally Sheath ($345)

Lark & Ro Cross Front Sheath ($89)

Eliza J Cold Shoulder Dress ($148)

Nanette Lepore Lace Trim Dress ($138)

Tadashi Shoji Brocade Dress ($388)

Likely Driggs Strapless Dress ($178)

ASOS Midi Dress with floral embroidery ($103)*

*Not really an LBD, but a fun, stylish option if you don’t find the dress that will last for years, and just need a dress for right now.

{image here; this post contains affiliate links}

1. Not a Vegas gal says:

What in the world does a nearing 30 year old wear to Vegas? Clubs or “sexy” clothing have never been my cup of tea, but headed for a bachelorette there in March and I am so lost.

January 3, 2019/Reply

I usually wear a simple sequin dress. Or I wear a simple dress in a bright color.

January 3, 2019/Reply
      • Morgan says:

Belle,

Like Not Vegas, I’m heading to Sin City in February (super bowl weekend, no less) for a bachelorette party. Vegas is just not my scene, but I want to look like I belong and feel good at the same time. I would love to see a post on what you’d wear if you were attending a traditional bachelorette weekend in Vegas. (We’re supposed to wear neon one night…help!)

January 4, 2019/Reply
  2. Denise says:

Ooooh…that Black Halo dress is beautiful! Wish I had somewhere to wear a LBD! These days chick-fil-a is my dinner go-to! Life with toddlers…

January 3, 2019/Reply
  3. Catherine says:

(For an optIon on the more casual side!)

I had a few events in the last weeks where comfort was a priority—so I could eat whatever I wanted, drink, and dance—and cramps were a strong possibility. I found this dress (https://www.loft.com/doubleface-flare-dress/488409?skuId=26367811&defaultColor=2222&catid=catl000013)from Loft and was pleasantly surprised by how well it has worked! It looks good with bare legs and nude or silver pumps, as well as tights and boots.

January 3, 2019/Reply
    • Liz says:

I love that Loft dress! How was the sizing?

January 3, 2019/Reply
      • Catherine says:

I found the sizing to be pretty generous. I usually take a 6 or 8 in Loft styles and bought the 6; the arms seem a little long (and I’m 5’8″ with arms on the longer side!), but nothing that a good tailor couldn’t fix, I imagine.

January 4, 2019/Reply
  4. Jill says:

Thank you for the great question and answer. I was just in Madrid, where the hotel-provided dryer was feeble and had to have a finger on the button at all times for heat. Also, no wash cloths. Might need to travel with one. Poor me. 😉

January 3, 2019/Reply